Of course, since I had my first stepback week in 7 weeks, I am now hungrier than a pot head who is all out of Doritos. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason, whenever I pull back the miles I am even more hungry than I was when I was actually running enough to support those calories. I assume that my body is just acting like a bear before hibernation and needs to take in as much food before the race. So, for the most part I'm strapping on the feedbag and going with what seems right.
What are your taper tips?
If you follow any number of blogs, you’ve noticed the Versatile Blogger awards going around. Barbie, Aron, EricaH, and Rio all tagged me to fess up and spill 7 random things about myself. I’m a TOTAL sucker for these lists so I was more than happy to oblige:
- The first time that I ever safety pined a race bib to my chest (belly) was the Kansas City Marathon in 2007. If I do something, I like to dive in head first. I’ve been pretty addicted to the whole marathon thing ever since.
- I’m a VERY outgoing guy. (Voted most outgoing HS senior year!) If you don’t believe me, you will the next time you see me. I’ll be the guy with his pants around his ankles dancing on the bar singing “It’s Raining Men”.
- However, even though I'm outgoing, I’m just as content being alone with my thoughts – which is probably why I like running as much as I do. In fact, as I am sitting here, I’m watching one of my favorite movies: Cast Away. The movie has 45 min or so with no speaking at all.
- I’m a hair guy. The first thing I notice about someone is their hair. I’m also a smell guy. I remember when I lived in Kansas City I always looked forward to stepping off of the plane (and out of the germ filled terminal) and into the fresh Midwestern air. Of course, I could do without the smells of cow shit (when the wind was just so) but that is the price you pay I suppose.
- I’m a pretty emotional guy – usually at the most embarrassing times. I’ve shed tears after 3 (maybe 4) of my 7 marathon finishes.
- The only time that I have been outside of the country was walking across the Mexico border. (and I didn’t even catch Montezuma's revenge!) I THOUGHT I would break this streak last summer when I went to the Virgin Islands. Turns out I went to the US Virgin Islands. FAIL!!!! However, as irony would have it, as a traveling consultant during 2008 I worked in 14 states. My taxes were a nightmare.
- The previous post, where I announced my wife was pregnant, was my 700th blog post. I’ve been doing this for over 2.5 years and honestly I don’t think
anyone can shut me upthat I’ll stop any time soon. What started as a way to collect my thoughts and random observations of the world has become my own personal journal. I hope everyone has enjoyed the ride – I know I have.
Always one to share the love with all things viral (e.g. herps), part of the "rules" of the versatile blogger award state that I share the love with either 13 or 7 other bloggers. Since 7 and 7 seems to make more sense, here are the 7 that I've tagged (for no particular reason):
Jeff @ Running Through Phoenix
Meredith @ inspiREDtorun13
Pam @ Thirty Shmirty
Cynthia @ Balls in the Air
Kim @ iLaxStudio
Glenn Jones @ The Running Fat Guy