Yeah, you heard me. Pills. **Insert Lindsey Lohan substance abuse joke here** (Sometimes they are just too easy – like Lindsey Lohan! Heyooooo)
Each day, I take this 6 pill concoction that I feel helps me stay
Apologies for the green matrix style picture, still no iPhone
Here is what I THINK they are doing for me
- Claritin D: This one is a must. I have pretty bad allergies to all things….earth
- Fish Oil: Helps my brain create these witty blog posts as well as lubes up my joints
- Vitamin C: Fights colds (see below for very important info on this)
- Multi-Vitamin: Gets me the good stuff that I don't get from a diet rich in Chipotle and McFlurries
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: Helps my cartilage / ligaments absorb more water thereby providing more cushion
- Calcium: Helps keep my bones strong (a hold-over from my stress fracture)
If you get nothing from this post, please read this A recent study has found that the 36-48 hour immune system dip after 90+ minutes of hard endurance activity can be significantly reduced by 200 mg daily of vitamin C. Unfortunately, the study showed no immunity boost for non-endurance athletes for taking daily vitamin C. Suckers. Here is the clip from NPR’s Fresh Air:
So let's talk about remedies and cures. Vitamin C, for years and years, people have sworn by it, both to ward off colds and to fight its symptoms when infected. Anything to it?
Ms. ACKERMAN: Well, unfortunately, you know, Vitamin C has been the subject of study for years and years and years. And the bottom line is that when it comes to preventing the common cold in the general population, Vitamin C gets a grade of about D.
If it's taken on a regular basis, it really doesn't help to prevent colds in the general population. If you take daily Vitamin C, it may reduce the severity of symptoms but only very slightly. It has this ability to dry nasal secretions a little bit. So there is some positive effect when you have a cold. It can actually shorten the duration of a cold just a tiny fraction.
There is some preventive benefit for people who are engaged in endurance exercise or people who are exposed to extreme cold. The studies suggest that for these people, these sort of - in these extreme environments or doing this extreme exercise, a daily dose of about 200 milligrams actually reduces the incidence of colds by half.
DAVIES: So if you're a marathon runner or work on an ice-breaker, maybe, huh?
Ms. ACKERMAN: Yes.
I don't think I need any more evidence than that! The radio said it, so it has to be true.
- Placebo effect. I think they are working, so they're probably doing SOMETHING
- I can eat like crap. Sure, getting all of these vits/minerals from food would be good, but it sure is nice knowing that I don’t HAVE to if I don’t want
- NPR says so
- When you are taking them a handful at a time like you're popping peanuts at a bar, people look at you like you are a heroin addict trying to get by on pain meds until your next hit
- While not horribly expensive, these things aren’t not cheap. I am not sure what I spend a day, but I honestly don’t want to find out
The verdict? I still take them. I’m sure that 90% of their effects are mostly a placebo sugar pill effect, however the other 10% probably is actually doing something. And for that, they get my seal of approval:
Of course, as I type this, I’m a bit sniffley and my throat is sore. I’m getting a cold. SUCK. As much as I would like the pills to counterbalance the 5 hours of sleep I’ve been getting and the high stress of my job, I know better. So for that, my pills get the FAIL killer whale eating my seal of approval:
Does anyone else take this many pills every day? I am sure that at least some of you have strong opinions about this one. Anyone know of any good seal eyeballs, whale penis remedy that will keep me potent until I'm 90?