As I was lying in bed last night (actually Tues night - dammit I'm behind) at 11:30pm, legs still pulsating from miles conquered (7 miles with 5.5@ tempo of 6:53), sweat still running down my back in spite of the cool shower just taken,
head under the pillow to block out the running clothes stench, Sugar Plum Fairies not yet dancing in my head…I got to thinking about how I haven’t been reading blogs as much as I would like.
Chocolate #9 energy gel to try. Never heard of it? Honestly, I hadn't either before I listened to an interview on the RunRunLive podcast about a year ago. Their hook is that instead of baby seal eyes, pixie dust, or red #9 dye that will shrivel "the boys" like raisins, they use Agave nectar and cocoa as the only two ingredients. You heard me right...TWO ingredients. No more Sorbitol or tetrahydrozoline - only the good stuff.
The advantages of this is that the product is a "slow burn" instead of a sugar rush (and resulting crash) that you might get from other gels. From the website: Chocolate #9 is the only certified LOW glycemic energy gel on the market. This is the driving idea here, athletes who refuel there muscles, body and mind with a pure and simple energy source will feel and perform better than those who use similar products loaded with high glycemic sweeteners, preservatives and the rest.
Over the past month or so, I've tried this on a number of runs both long and short. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I've ate at least one during each of my long runs over the past 6 weeks or so. The taste is like you would expect - brown. The consistency of the gel is more like a Powerbar gel than a GU gel. That is, a bit runnier and a bit less thick. Honestly, a good thing.
I've had pretty good luck with it agreeing with my stomach. I haven't had any issues that I can attribute to the gel (most of my issues can be attributed to massive cheese intake the days prior). Unfortunately however, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have ANY tequila taste. It is made out of agave - the same ingredient used for the delicious drink that goes so well with foam parties and Jimmy Buffet music. Although, honestly as I was looking for a tequila picture it might be a good thing that it doesn't have any tequila aftertaste. I really don't want any donkey in my energy gel:
- Good Taste: It honestly takes a lot like brownies. If you can handle brownies or chocolate syrup when it is 90 degrees and you’re all sweaty (and actually have clothes on) – game on
- Slow Burn / Diabetic friendly: Won’t make your legs fall off with the gout
- Sort of organic, vegan, and gluten free: I’m no foodie, but the stuff has only 2 ingredients: organic agave and cocoa. No ground up puppy eyeballs here
- Only comes in one flavor – chocolate. When you put chocolate in the name, you kind of expect that I guess. But I’m kind of a fruity sort of a guy (in more ways than one) and like some variety now and again with my gels
- The whole concept of “Slow burn” energy is good, but honestly in the “outta my way jerkface” society that I’m used to, I’m not sure if I like that. I’m sort of used to the tingles
in my pantsin my fingers when I eat a normal gel
- Each gel only has 70 calories. If I'm eating pure sugar I want it to pack some PUNCH
Overall? I like chocolate #9 gel. I think it is really good as a training gel (as opposed to racing gel where I want high energy spikes) – providing consistent energy. So, it gets my seal of approval:
BUT WAIT! Not only did Chocolate #9 send me some gels to try, they also sent me THREE boxes to give away on my blog. I’ll draw THREE WINNERS to be announced on September 11th
Here's what you do to enter! Comment for each entry you do. Like I say for every contest I do, I don't have those ANNOYING word verification dealies (seriously, I get like 1 spam comment a month without it, tops), so extra comments take you about 2 seconds. :)
- Follow my blog +1
- Retweet this: "Check out www.TheBoringRunner.com for @adamrisu Chocolate #9 gel giveaway!” +1
- Post this contest on your blog, FB, whatever +1 for each!!
- Answer the question: “What flavor of energy gel do you like the best?”
It is as easy as that!! Get as many entries as you can before Friday Sept 10th - and then get your chocolate eat on.
Got these for free (and so can you! Why are you reading this down here?? enter enter enter!!), but wasn't asked for a positive review