I've been traveling for work pretty much non stopped since I started (going on 8 years). You'd think that I'd be pretty good at the whole travel thing, right? Well this week seemed to buck the trend. Examples included:
- When I called to book a taxi on Sunday night at 8pm, I didn't have a flight booked (I had been drinking, but no NyQuil so I am not sure why I forgot). So, I immediately scrambled to get one of those squared away.
- No later than 10 hours after I booked my flight, on the way to the airport my cab blew out a tire on the Interstate. I'm not talking "oppsies kind sir, it looks like I might have to pull this motorized carriage over"....I'm instead talking "oh shit!! **sound of blown out tire scraping the car fenders**". Luckily my driver was able to call a different cab and I made it on my flight on time. No word on if the cab driver was able to push his car to a mechanic.
- When I went to put on my running clothes Monday night, I realized that I forgot t-shirts to run in. So this week I am using dirty undershits. As much as I hate wearing a shirt while running, I refuse to be 'that guy' on the treadmill, chest hair flapping with every stride.
Besides, I have no chest hair anyway
- And finally, the piece de resistance (triple word score!). For the first time ever, I brought two pairs of shoes to run in this week: my normal stability long run shoes and my lightweight trainers. Unfortunately, the pair of stability shoes is a "pair" of TWO LEFT SHOES. It seems that my pack-rat nature with old shoes has caught up to me.
|Not me, but exactly what I look like:|
Old shoe / new shoe - both left
- Monday was a 5 mile recovery run with some coworkers at 8:40 pace. It was at a relatively leisurely pace, but it was nice to
dodge the skunksknock the rust off.
- Tuesday I took an unplanned rest day partly due to crazy work schedules and partly due to feeling under the weather. Obviously I need to take more vitamin C (that based on her blog comment, my sister thinks is likely compressed wood chips).
- Wednesday: I was finally able to do something that resembled speed work. 7.5 miles overall at 7:08 pace with 6 miles at tempo pace of 6:50.
- Thursday was an 8 mile marathon pace run @ 7:34 pace. The miles seemed to slug along, mostly because I felt like I was running behind schedule. Turns out, I was! I rolled into work a pretty solid 20 minutes after I wanted to today.
Tomorrow is scheduled to be a track day. My knee and quad are still a bit sore, but I'm hoping that they'll just figure shit out on their own. Good strategy, right?