Recently, I won a pair of YurBuds from Christy over at It Just Looks Like Slow Motion. I say recently, but what I mean is: "I won these about 2 months ago but am just now getting to writing a review." Fail.
But, my tardiness aside, I haven't been running for over a month. So, since this is supposed to be mostly a
boring running blog, I figure that I should give them a shot while actually running.
What is a YurBud you ask? If you guessed that it was some sort of slang for talking about pot, then you are close. "Yur Bud is dope, dude! Roll me some more!" Yurbuds are actually custom fit rubber covers that slip over the horrible iPod ear buds that seem to fit no ones ears. In fact, before getting my set shipped to me, I had to take a picture of my ear with a quarter next to it for scale and send it to them.
Here they are attached to my iPod shuffle.
I've used them on a few shorter runs of 5 miles or less and I actually used them on my 70 mile bike ride. They didn't bounce in my ears at all and required no readjustment. Plus, my mom would be excited to hear that I can have the volume down a lot lower because of the snug fit.
In addition to using them on the run, I've actually switched from my noise canceling DJ style headphones in the airplane to these. They don't have near the sound quality, but they do a good job of blocking out the screaming kids and toilet flushes. Unfortunately, I no longer get the head nod of approval from DJs.
Here is (basically) what they look like when I have them on (you're welcome for the nightmares):
- They stay in! Isn't that all that you really need?
- They come with a set of headphones that don't get as tangled up as regular iPod headphones do (and they are still white for the image conscious.)
- Because they are custom fit, sweat seems to stay out of my ears - which is a huge problem with most other headphones.
- At $30, they are not cheap
- I never know how to pronounce them. Is it You're-buds? Uhhr-buds?
- The rubber is a bit soft, so they seem to collect a lot of lint and stuff. But, I wouldn't want them any harder or else they would hurt my ear holes.