I will wait a while while you sing the song in your head..... Cha-cha-cha-chia!!
Don't worry, I was singing the song too. Anyway, for any listeners of Brandon's Marathon podcast, the folks over at Greens Plus were willing to send over some free samples of their Chia product. (Note, I did not pay for my Chia seeds - they were a present. Sort of like my present to all readers for simply commenting on my first ever giveaway!! (whoring our your blog giveaway is hard, but fun))
The overall thought process behind Chia seeds (other than a delightful home plant) is that they aid in endurance activity by slowing down the rate at which the body processes sugar. So, it makes a GU "last" longer and reduces the GU sugar crash. Additionally, per the Greens plus website, Chia Seeds: "Increase Energy Levels Naturally, Support the Immune System, Improve Mental Acuity, Gently cleanse the Colon, and Restore a Healthy pH Balance to the Body"
So, this weekend I finally decided to try them. The seeds come in little single serving pouches that can be poured into any drink.
The packaging recommends stirring them into lemon aid, but I assume that Gatorade would work just as well. I wanted to try them with water at first to get the full effect of their "flavor"
You can see in this picture, about 1/4 of them floated, 1/4 were suspended in the water, and 1/2 of them were at the bottom
After drinking them, my brother in law was certain that I would have sprouts shooting out of my ass ANY second. Fortunately for him, it took a full 2 hours.
- Loads of Omega 3
- They are seeds, so they have to be good
- Gots lots of fiber
- You could blend them into a smoothie and never notice the taste / texture
- The stuff tastes like you would expect it too. By that I mean that I felt like I was licking a tree
- Gots lots of fiber (don't need any more of THAT on a run)
- The texture was gummy and gritty all at the same time. I could see how a lot of people would have issue with that.
- I really didn't see a difference in my performance. Granted, I only had three packages, but I guess I was looking for something more
Unfortunately, these are not something that I can recommend. The "gross" factor and the limited benefits were too much to overcome. So, this one, instead of getting my seal of approval, gets my FAIL killer whale EATING my seal of approval. Be warned random consumer products, I'm on the prowl.
** Blogs, podcasts, and twitter!? That, my friends, makes me a triple threat. Or, I guess at least a triple consumer.