Friday, March 13, 2009

Week of 3/9 Running

3/10: 4 Miles 7:57 pace
3/11: 6.5 Miles, 7:34 pace with 4x800 at 6:48 pace
3/12: 4 miles, 8:32 pace

Tuesday: Nothing seems to stick out in this run as particularly interesting. I think that I’ve finally hit a groove with the training at this point. I’m really hitting my stride and hitting the times that I would like to hit. I will say that daylight savings time has really kicked me in the junk with regard to my morning runs. I was just getting used to the sun being out for the very last part of my short morning runs but now I am plunged back into darkness.

Wednesday: Speed day – Owwwww. I sort of spoiled this run with my previous post about my nipple pain. However, I will retell the story because I am a bit narcissistic. I was extremely tired as I woke up on Wednesday and since I am staying in Atlanta through Friday, I had the option of running this and Thursday’s run in the afternoon. So, I decided at 5:30am to do my speed work in the afternoon. I am not sure if ANYONE should be allowed to make decisions at 5:30am – no matter how insignificant. So, that morning I packed my bag not even realizing that I forgot to pack my usual band-aids. I ALWAYS run with band-aids on my nipples to prevent chaffing. When I got to the gym and realized it, I didn’t want to go get any, so I thought that I would try it out without them – big mistake. I was fine through the first four or so miles, and really all of my speed work, but after that, the pain started to get the best of me. I am not sure if it was because I was on a treadmill or because I have an SUPER low tolerance for nipple pain, but I could not take much more after 6.5 miles. I had originally wanted to do 9 miles and would have liked to do 2 more intervals, but I didn’t have it in me.

Thursday: Today was supposed to be the day that I caught up on mileage. However, for some reason I felt a slight tweak in on of my quad muscles. I am nearly positive that it was still sore from lifting weights on Monday which is honestly a little annoying since I lifted on MONDAY. Either way, I decided that I would give it a mile or so to see if it worked itself out. It mostly did, but I didn’t want to try to hammer out the full 6 miles so I just did a quick 4 to try to burn out some of the acid. It worked quite well and I think that I am on the mend. I iced everything down really well which made all of the difference. The funny thing is that my split times were faster and faster as I burned more and more acid: 9:05, 8:43, 8:11, 8:15. Most of that is due to traffic that I hit at the beginning, but some of it is due to how sore my quad was. Stay tuned for a very long 19 mile run this weekend!


Marcy said...

4 miles is all you get before you get nip burn? Dang!! Sports bra is where it's at :P LOL JK!

Pat said...

WWMD - What would McGyver do?

your in a gym, look for some kleenex to stick on your nips. Use a papercup to give you some room. Go shirtless.

Your on the road - see if a couple leaves will stick there. stick two round bandaids on the back of your garmin for emergencies. go shirtless.

aron said...

great job on the week and good luck on your 19 miler this weekend!!

Michelle said...

I gotta agree with Marcy!!!


Katie said...

I like Pat's idea about the papercups. Could you imagine? LOL